Stay Connected


This webpage is an archived image of the Office of the Public Advocate's website as of December 31, 2013. These materials are made available as historical archival information only. The Office of the Public Advocate cautions that the information has not been reviewed subsequently for current accuracy and completeness, nor has the information been updated. The information contained on this page may have been superseded by subsequent events and the passage of time.

Homeless families have a right to shelter in the City of New York. If you are currently homeless, you can seek assistance at the intake shelter listed below. Homeless families have to apply and be found eligible for shelter. Below is information on what documents to bring to help in the application process. While the NYC Department of Homeless Services is determining your eligibility, you will be given a temporary shelter placement.

151 East 151st Street
Bronx, NY 10451

Who can apply for emergency shelter at PATH:

  • Families with children younger than 21 years old.
  • Pregnant women, pregnant couples, or other pregnant families

The PATH office is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To apply for shelter, you must go in person to the above address.


Subway: Take the 2, 4 or 5 train to the Grand Concourse Station. Head west on E. 149th Street toward Grand Concourse. Walk north on Grand Concourse two blocks, to E. 151st Street and turn left. Walk two blocks to Walton Avenue. The PATH office is located at the corner on your right.

What to Bring:

·       You will need to have identification, such as a welfare ID card, green card, driver's license, passport/visa, or picture employment card. If you do not have a picture ID, you can generally use a birth certificate, social security card, Medicaid card, identity card in the public assistance system, or a pay stub to prove your identity.

·         It is also helpful to bring the following if you have it:

o    Eviction papers or Marshal's Notice

o    Proof of residence for the past year

o    Leases

o    Con Edison or telephone bill

o    Pay stub, or proof of income

·         Do not bring:

o    Any contraband, alcohol, or illegal substances (smoking is not allowed in public buildings within New York City);

o    Expensive personal belongings (DHS is not responsible for lost or damaged goods);

o    Friends and visitors, or anyone not a part of your family;

o    Food;

o    Furniture;

o    Cameras;Appliances; and/or

o    Pets.

Who is eligible:

Families with a viable housing option will not be determined eligible for shelter services. You instead may be able to qualify for one of the homelessness prevention programs that assist families in retaining their existing housing. If you already are homeless and preventive assistance cannot help you keep your existing housing, DHS will provide temporary emergency shelter in a safe environment. Before being placed in shelter, however, your family must be found eligible.

In order for you and your family to be found eligible, DHS must verify that your family is in immediate need of temporary emergency shelter. DHS will conduct an investigation to determine whether there is any other safe and appropriate place for you and your family to stay, even temporarily. To aid the investigation, you should provide any documents that will help investigators understand why you now are homeless. Examples include: eviction papers, marshal’s 72-hour notices, letters from landlords or managing agents, letters from people you used to live with, and documents from doctors or other professionals showing that a former apartment no longer may be appropriate.

To be found eligible for emergency housing assistance, you and your family must apply for, or already be receiving, Public Assistance. HRA’s Eligibility Processing Unit is located at the family intake center, and will help your family apply.

Victims of domestic violence should request to see the NoVA unit to be screened for safety issues prior to shelter placement.  NoVA can preclude DHS from investigating unsafe addresses as potential housing options and can also bar DHS from placing the family in areas deemed unsafe.  In some cases NoVA may also refer eligible families to the specialized HRA domestic violence shelter system.

Copyright © 2010-2013  |  Office of the New York City Public Advocate
1 Centre Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10007  |  (212) 669-7200

Website created in partnership with Albatross Digital